Rules for Feeding the Stash

Friday, June 26, 2015

Collection: Planning


I bought three skeins of yarn last year, with the intention of doing a mini-collection of three cowls. The idea was ephemeral, at best, and I could never quite pin down what exactly I wanted to do or what I was looking for in the individual designs or even in the collection as a whole. So I let them sit for a few months.

Then, a couple of months ago, I bought another skein of yarn for a mitt project that I ended up deciding not to do. And after a couple weeks, this skein started feeling like it should be a hat-not just any hat, a very specific looking hat, that reminded me very strongly of the mountain where I spent several formative summers growing up. At the same time, I was thinking about another potential hat, and I knew it wanted to be knit from one of the three skeins I'd bought several months prior. I pretty quickly fell down the inspiration rabbit hole, and ended up with something really exciting.

Four hats, all inspired by places that were important to me growing up. I've got sketches, I've got swatches, and I am super excited to start working on these. This is a bit different from my usual creative process, but I'm so excited-everything works out on paper, so I'll get to start knitting these up next week. I am so excited-a collection has been one of my goals since I started designing, and I am so thrilled to finally have this much already put together. I can't wait to see how this creative journey turns out :)


6 comments:

  1. isn't it funny how yarn 'talks' and has a mind of its own???? Lovely start to your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, yarn sure can be funny that way-I've seen skeins in stores that just shout "I want to be a sweater!", or I'll buy a skein and have no idea what to do with it until one day it says "duh, I want to be a shawl!"

      Delete
  2. So exciting! I think it is a beautiful inspiration and I can't wait to see your designs and learn more about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited to start working on this-it's been great to conceptualize so far.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic. I love it when yarn finds it's true destiny. Excited to see your design collection!

    ReplyDelete