Rules for Feeding the Stash

Friday, November 13, 2015

Planning: Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Drift


Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Sock was my first yarn crush, and it's still in many ways one of my deepest yarn loves. It's an amazing blend of fibers, the colors are fantastic, and it's been a constant in my stash since my stash fit in a shoe box. Back in 2010 I made it my mission to buy some of every colorway that Athena Fibers had in stock, and for some odd reason, I bought four skeins of Reggaeton.

As much as I loved the colors and feel in this yarn though, the yarn started to stress me out. What do you do with 400g of this stuff? I finally broke into one skein to make my own pair of Transitions Sleeves, which I love the daylights out of, but what to do with the other 334g?

Fast forward another couple of years, and I got a hankering for a top-down yoke sweater. And all of a sudden, there it was-I didn't even know that's what I was looking for, but having seen it, I can't imagine that I was looking for anything else. That eyelet detail, that soft ease. It's definitely the pattern that I've been wanting to knit, and it's absolutely perfect for this yarn I've been carrying around for more than five years. Not only that, the yardage requirements and gauge just work out, so it's obviously meant to be.

(For those of you keeping track, that's two sweaters still on the needles, and now two sweaters getting ready for cast-on. Clearly I'm coming down with sweateritis, and you should probably stay far away, because I think it's contagious.)

4 comments:

  1. nothing wrong with four sweaters on the needles, makes my projects less crazy!! beautiful yarns and cannot wait to see it all knit up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This new sweater will certainly have some energy and be interesting to the eye with this sock yarn. I haven't tried Misti Alpaca's sock yarn yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is going to be soooo beautiful, I think the yarn is going to work so well with that eyelet yoke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the handpaint misti alpaca love- they have beuatiful colourways! And hey, this jsu tmenas that you could have a few sweaters done all aroudn the same time, possibly! Colder weather, you'll need them!

    ReplyDelete